Saturday, June 14, 2008

Spent half a day in City Hall - marina square and esplanade.



Met my tpjc classmate, who was my crush during my 3 months of study there, in city link...hmm..a crush whom i've never mentioned to any of my friends at all..hmm..guess he's considered the first one whom i feel he meets my criteria..but oh well, at that time, even though we were in the same class, we din get to talk at all. i had felt adequately not confident of talking to him. he's from a relatively good sch..and arg...basically i was always avoiding him all the time...hahhaha...anyway din keep in contact at all, since both of us eventually studied in a different sch (he went to vjc).
hhahaha...thank goodness, my dress code for today was relatively presentable.. (phew)..but sigh, din get to talk to him...oh well, guess it's just fate...
Enjoyed a day of being with myself. Went to marina sqaure's coffee club cafe and had a mochaccino and a slice of fruity tiramisu. The service is great and it's my first experience to have a waiter asking me of how my reading had been going (i was reading there) when he was cleaning up the table where i sat.
The day ended with the dance performance produced by the Singapore Dance Threatre.
hmmm...generally it was alright......out of 10, i could only give it 6 or 7...
i was pretty disappointed by its opening performance. the dance was divided into 3 parts, each designed by a different choreographer.
all i could say about its opening performance - it's a disaster. the synopsis had a brillant theme but the choreography was not as impressive as its intended theme. There was no connection between the dancers and the music, between the dance and the audience.
Its second part of the performance was relatively better. The setting was clean, bright and simple. But then again, there were still signs of relatively poor synchronisation among the dancers.
The last part was fantastic and it is my most favourite part of this performace. The arrangement of the lightings was great - the focus on each pair of dancers was distinguishing and produced a smooth start and finishing. The dance choreography was neat, focused, organised and (alas..!) synchronised..! The spatial setting created by the lightings was, to me, beautiful..the dance movement was dynamic, challenging yet brings out its gracefulness distinctively. And this part was the only one which i felt there was a deeper connection between the dancers and the music, as well as between the dance and the audience.
Generally, i see a stronger element of individuality in the performance, rather than a strong team spirit. Individually, the dancers have pretty good and strong basic dance foundation - their postures are good and they have great physical flexibility. however, it just seems to me that the synchronisation was kinda disappointing - i actually got pretty confused at several points of the performance, wondering whether they were supposedly to be dancing together with the same movement..
i consider myself to be a dance noob - i dun dance ballet..nor i have any dancing foundation..but it's how the performance connects with me which affects my personal opinions of this performance.
currently, "Aware" still tops my list.

No comments: